A Child's Drawing of a Monster
presented by The Vacant Lot Theater Company
26-15 Jackson Ave.
Long Island City, NY
July 12, 13, 14, at 8pm
July 15, at 7pm
July 18, 19, 20, 21, at 8pm
Vacant lot meets abandoned garage with New York debut of "A Child's Drawing of a Monster."
The Vacant Lot Theater Company, a sponsored project of FracturedAtlas, has selected six abstract works by Erik Ehn, head of playwriting at Brown University. The works were selected based on Ehn's perspective that, "theater should rely on the art and science of hospitality," aligns with the Company's approach to creating uniquely inspired experiences at each performance. All the selected Ehn pieces revolve around family life, the whispers of childhood, and the process of finding oneself:
• A Child's Drawing of a Monster: A Prince is born into an ordinary abusive family.
• Equiprobalism: About a young woman who becomes a cowboy bank robber.
• Winterland: Two sisters sneak out one night to see a punk concert at Winterland.
• One Eye Gone: A Scientist/Doctor battles a monster and finds love.
• Medusachrist: A young man wrestles with his family's indiscretions while Thanksgiving takes place on the moon.
• Patti Page: A young woman working in a factory finds solace in the music of Patti Page.
"We at Vacant Lot Theater feel that Erik Ehn's plays need to be produced more because his plays are unlike anything seen on stage now," says Ryan Whinnem, who serves as Co-Founder and Artistic Director of Vacant Lot. "Erik himself has said that he would love to see some of the pieces we've chosen because he has never seen them performed before so we're putting out money where our mouth is."Tags: group show, performance, queens